What is a Pumice Stone?
Most people use pumice stone but with little information about this amazing stone. Keep on reading to know more about this stone, which is found in almost every household.
Do you know how it is made to be porous and good enough for your skin? The pumice stone is a result of a volcano. When a volcano erupts, it creates a lot of heated lava. Pumice stones get formed as the lava cools down. Water and gases form bubbles in heated lava to create pores.
This volcanic rock comes in various colors. So, The pumice stones can be cream, pale white, grey, green, black, and more.
Additionally, pumice stones have different pore sizes. The pore sizes can help you to choose accordingly. Big pores are a bit rough and are ideal for your rough feet. Then smaller pores are gentler and good for sensitive skin.
Usage of Pumice Stone
There are different types of pumice stones with various sizes of pores. These pores make the rock ideal for scrubbing the skin.
As much as it is good for exfoliating your skin, you should avoid using it on sensitive parts of your body. It is perfect for your feet, but it can be too rough for your delicate facial skin.
However, the stone is not limited to exfoliating your skin. Some people find it handy in scrubbing the toilet bowl. The pores of the stone are also useful for removing pills on clothes.
How To Use A Pumice Stone
Pumice stone is largely used for exfoliating skin, particularly the hands and feet. But are you using the stone correctly? Below are the simple steps that you can follow when using the pumice stone for feet, hands, elbows, and other body parts.
- Soak your feet in water for at least 5 minutes, or until they are soft. You can use warm water, soap, oil to make your feet soft. Adding soap or oil is good for softening your skin. Avoid exfoliating dry feet or any other body part using the stone, as it can pain or damage the skin. There is no need to soak other body parts. You can wet your body and use the stone as you bathe.
- Soak the stone. You can soak the stone together with your feet. Using a dry stone can be rough to your skin.
- After softening your feet, you can remove them from water and dry them with a towel. Then rub stone gently on your feet in a circular motion. You should be able to remove the dead skin without exerting any pressure.
- Make sure that you rinse your feet as well as the stone as you exfoliate your feet.
- After removing dead skin, you can rinse your feet. Make sure that you moisturize your skin to avoid cracking.
- Clean your stone for feet after your pumicing session. You will not like it dirty on your next exfoliating session. Soapy water and a brush is good enough to remove dead skin build up in the pores. Make sure that it’s clean and dry to avoid bacteria build-up. You can boil your stone fortnightly to kill any bacteria. Soaking it in water mixed with bleach is another trick for eliminating bacteria.
- Note that you can use the pumice stone on a daily basis. But make sure that you monitor your skin. Discontinue pumicing when it makes your skin uncomfortable or painful.
Other Usage of Pumice Stone
Scrubbing The Toilet Bowl
A pumice stone can help you to remove stains in a toilet bowl. However, it works well if your toilet bowl is made of porcelain. Other materials can be scratched. Follow the instructions below to remove toilet stains;
- Soak or wet the stone
- Use detergent of your choice to clean toilet bowl
- Rub the tough stains gently with a stone
- Rinse the toilet and scrub the stains until you remove them
This pumice stone can be a good alternative to a lint remover. This is how you do it.
- Put your cloth on a flat surface
- Then rub a dry stone in a circular motion on over the unwanted pills or lint.
Health Benefits of Pumice Stone
Using a pumice stone to remove dead cells gives your skin a new life. It leaves your skin soft and dirty-free.
Where To Get It
Of course, you don’t have to go to the volcano sites to get your pumice stone. You can buy your best pumice stone for feet at any beauty shop or in a grocery store.
A pumice stone is one of the best natural tools that you can use to exfoliate your skin. Beauty specialists keep on twerking the stone to make it user-friendly. Interestingly, the stone can be used in various ways. It is useful for removing stubborn stains in your toilet bowl.
Additionally, the pores work wonders in removing lint on clothes. Make sure you keep the pumice stone bacteria-free. Don’t force it on your skin when it gives you discomfort.